Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Culprit behind America's Downfall

In this troubled time, the Great Recession, there has been ample finger-pointing and blame-gaming. "It's the GOP's fault," some chide, "for obstinately blocking everything Obama has tried to pass." Others counter, "You mean that Muslim reincarnation of Hitler? It's his fault for trying to turn this nation into the Soviet Union version 2.0." Still others shout, "No, it's Wall Street's fault for so consciously misleading us into our very own destruction. And what about big oil destroying our environment? And big business shipping our jobs overseas? And terrorism! How could you forget terrorism?"

But, America, none of this rabble-rabble-rabbling is correct. The chaos has spread enough and it's time you all knew the truth. I'll tell you who's to blame for America's downfall: me.

I'm to blame for the healthcare crisis. I know I need to exercise. I know I shouldn't eat artery-clogging fast food. And, believe me, I know that I don't need a 32 oz. soda with my Big Mac. These actions will put me in the hospital again and again for reasons that could have been easily prevented and we'll all see health care prices driven up. Despite all this, I've been too lazy to change.

I'm to blame for the financial meltdown. I exchanged a good work ethic and a prudent budget for get-rich-quick dreams. Time and time again I spent money I didn't have on things I didn't really need (or want, for that matter). I bought a house with a mortgage that was too good to be true and filled it with furniture and electronics bought on credit. I never questioned why the rates were so low; I guess I just thought the banks and credit cards companies knew how good of a guy I was.

I'm to blame for the little BP mishap, too. Not directly, of course, but I drive my car. A lot. I drive it to work. I drive it to the mall. Heck, I even drive it to my kids' bus stop five houses up the block. I just love driving. One thing I don't love though: high gas prices. I flat out hate them. I guess if I walked my kids down the block or biked to places in town I could've cut fuel expenses, but I just didn't think of it. Instead, I unwittingly put pressure on BP and other companies to cut costs and corners so I could keep on driving as much as possible, for as cheap as possible.

You can blame me for all the environmental problems we're facing as well. I like leaving lights and the TV on, even when I'm not in the room. It makes me feel safe. I like long showers and rinsing my dishes before I put them in the dishwasher as well. You can never get those things too clean as far as I'm concerned. I like my house cold in the summer and hot in the winter, too. I guess I just never really thought about where all that energy needed was coming from, or where the waste products went.

I'm also to blame for the religious intolerance that's surfacing these days. I always thought that what "religion" you were meant what kind of "Christian" you were, at least in this country. I never thought that people could have sincere beliefs in religions like Hinduism and Islam. Heck, I don't even really understand my own creed; how could you expect me to understand theirs?

So I'll say it again: you can blame me, America. But before you get too riled up, hear me out. I want to change. I don't want to let my country down anymore. I want to stop being lazy and unhealthy. I want to be fit and active. I want to eat foods that will take care of my body so down the road a doctor won't have to. I want to stop making needless, impetuous purchases, save more and find ways to be content with what I already have. I want to drive less and use less energy, not so much because I'm an environmentalist, but I now see that efficiency is something to value in and of itself. And finally, I want to be more tolerant, reaching out to those who are different than me and instead of polarizing our groups, embracing them as fellow countrymen who bring their own distinct flavor to this one-of-a-kind melting pot.

I implore you, my fellow citizens, to join me in this moment of critical introspection. This country was once great and we can make it great again. We need to stick our thumbs to our sternum, look in the mirror and say, "I'm to blame, America, but not anymore."

No comments:

Post a Comment